Stephenson and his team were instructed to infiltrate Mount Massive Asylum and prevent the Variants from escaping by any means necessary. However, the operation fails as Stephenson and his team were overpowered at the Administration Block and were all killed, with Stephenson himself getting impaled on an iron pole by Chris Walker.
Independent journalist Miles Upshur receives a tip about illegal activity at the asylum and goes there, armed with his camcorder. Miles manages to gain access to the asylum and navigates through corridors, which are filled with the bodies of guards, brutally killed by the Variants. Miles goes to the Administration Block and passes through the library, also filled with bodies of guards and doctors, either hanging from the ceiling or beheaded. While a horrified Miles navigates through the library, he notices Stephenson, impaled on an iron pole, seemingly dead. The dead cop suddenly awakens and with his last breath warns Miles not to fight with the strong Variants, tells him to hide, instructs him to escape the asylum by unlocking the main doors from the security control room and that he must escape at all costs from the asylum before dying.
- "They killed us. They got out. The Variants."
- "You can't fight them. You have to hide."
- "...Can unlock the main doors from Security Control."
- "You have to get the fuck out of this terrible place."
- Stephenson's name was never mentioned in the game and is one of the four characters who were never addressed with a proper name in the game. The other three being The Twins and Pyro. His name is only seen in the credits. Up until then, he was referred to as "The dying soldier". During the development, the programmers have inconsistently spelled his name as "Stevenson" and "Stenvenson".
- An unused line of dialogue reveals that he was the team leader.