- "Your world, Our Business"
- ―Murkoff's Motto
Murkoff Corporation (alternatively Murkoff Corp.) is a company that reopened the Mount Massive Asylum, under the guise of a charitable organization in 2009, after CIA Director Richard Helms orders all MKULTRA files to be destroyed. It was experimenting on the insane inmates of the Asylum. This caused the patients to grow stronger than the average human and cause havoc across the whole asylum and they were known as Variants. Billy's mother was also in a lawsuit against Murkoff. One of the main contributors to Murkoff Corp. were Alan Mathison Turing and Rudolf Gustav Wernicke. Murkoff also kept their workers from keeping in contact with their family and friends for fear of the illegal as well as immoral experiments being exposed to public eye.
Known Murkoff Divisions
Murkoff Hardline Security (M.H.S) A division that directs Murkoff's military units. They have the power to seize Murkoff facilities in the case of emergencies (with permission from Murkoff's Board of Directors). In Outlast they are responsible for sending its Tactical Division to Mount Massive Psychiatric Center.
Murkoff Research & Development (M.R.D) This branch directs the scientific projects that Murkoff takes on. It works to both research potential areas for profit and works to develop these in to working models. In Outlast M.R.D is responsible for the creation of the Project Walrider. Notably M.R.D executive Richard Trager wishes to expand Project Walrider to include female patients.
Murkoff Psychiatric Systems (M.P.S) Likely specifically created for Project Walrider. M.P.S consists of doctors, scientists, orderlies,and security guards who work with patients at Mount Massive Asylum, for the purpose of creating a super soldier, using a "swarm" of specific molecules produced through psychosomatic direction.
- Andrew (Scientist/Status Unknown)
- Jeremy Blaire (Executive/Deceased)
- Paul Marion (Mitigation Officer) (Formerly)
- Pauline Glick (Mitigation Officer)
- Richard Trager (Research and Development Executive/Deceased)
- Steve (Scientist/Status Unknown)
- Waylon Park (Software Engineer/Involuntarily Terminated)
- Dr. Carl Houston (Doctor/ Unknown)
- Dr. Walsh (Doctor/Unknown)
- Helen Granat (Legal Dpt/Alive)
- Dr. Neil Wolfram (Doctor/Unknown)
- David Annapurna (Orderly/Involuntarily Terminated)
- Kurt Vigalondo (Unknown)
- Patrick Petryna (Unknown)
- Cynthia Eisner (Unknown)
- Jennifer Roland (Pathologist/Unknown)
- In the PAX Demo version of the game in the introduction, Murkoff is spelled as "Murkof".
- Murkoff's logo resembles what seems to be a guillotine, which is a device used for carrying out executions by beheading. The logo itself might be a hidden message from the developers, indicative to Murkoff's gruesome experiments conducted on the asylum's patients.
- ↑ The Murkoff Account Issue #1, Page 8